Ever wonder what exterior paint color works best for your home style? What color(s) you choose for one home-style might look horrible on another home style. This video goes over choosing exterior paint color schemes for your home style. Click on the video below, from my vlog series called Discover Your Home, Season 1, Episode 6:
Midwest Home Styles
So because I live in the midwest, Chicago area actually, here is the list of the typical midwest home styles:
- Victorian Home Style
- Colonial Home Style
- Cape Cod Home Style
- Contemporary Home Style
- Georgian Home Style
- Tudor Home Style
Exterior Paint Color Schemes
So let’s go quickly down the list and see what color schemes I think work the best. My video goes into further detail:
- Victorian Home Style – there are no real “rules” for this home style. Most have 4-5 colors.
- Colonial Style – generally white in nature, and most are a Navajo white or some off shite color. But there are typically dark contrasting colors for the shutters or front door
- Cape Code – my favorite color for cape cod homes is a marigold or buttercup yellow. And use your front door as the main focal point by using a bold color.
- Contemporary Home Style – this home-style really is supposed to blend into the natural environment surroundings, so a subdued earth tone colors.
- Georgian Home Style – This home style is mostly brick and white is the dominant color for the columns and trim work.
- Tudor Home – the most common is called Tudor brown with trim work in a white or Navajo white.
To sum up, understanding your home style can really help decide on choosing an exterior paint color scheme. Painting or staining your home is an investment that can be more valuable if you know the right color schemes that fit the style of your home. I hope you’ve found this video helpful.
Give me a call if you need an estimate on priming house before painting the exterior. My team and I would love to be of service to the Northwest Indiana communities such as Long Beach, Beverly Shores, Lake of the Four Seasons, Schererville, Kreitzburg, Michigan City, Grand Beach, and New Buffalo, and all of the Chicago area for 30+ years.