How a Pencil is Your Best Friend with Ceiling Water Issues
You have noticed a brown water stain in your ceiling. Let’s see how to determine if it was a temporary situation or if there is a bigger problem for repairing ceiling drywall:
- Temporary Situation: Caused by children getting too much water overflowing from the bathtub or possibly a driving rain one night.
- draw a pencil around the outer edge of the stain. If it doesn’t grow any larger in the next 7-10 days, you have just a temporary situation.
- Water Leakage: Caused by leaking plumbing maybe from a toilet where quite a bit of water overflowed and got the ceiling below the toilet or shower area soaked in rain. This too is a one-time situation.
- If when you drew the pencil (see above) around the edge, and it grew, then you need to repair the drywall before it molds up
- Major Water Leakage: Caused by consistent leaking in your plumbing from toilet or shower or sink areas. Sometimes you know about it, but just don’t have the time. Or there are hidden plumbing issues down below the floor boards/tile or inside your walls.
- If when you drew the pencil (see above) around the edge, it grew, but you also saw black stains, you have mold issues that need to be addressed right away
Repairing Ceiling Drywall Due to Water Damage
Let’s repair the ceiling for each of the three situations:
- Temporary Situation Drywall Repair: Just use a primer over the stain and touch-up with paint
- Water Leakage Drywall Repair: Cut out the drywall area; tape, mud, and sand. Prime and paint
- Major Water Leakage with Mold Drywall Repair: Get a plumber in to determine water issue is the first step. Don’t move forward until this is handled. Cut out bad drywall and moldy insulation. If there is any mold in the area, treat wit a mold-cleaning agent that you can buy at your local hardware store. Replace in new insulation. Replace with new drywall. Tape, mud & sand. Prime and paint.
Call our support team at 815-260-6773 and we can discuss your project today. Our team with Mark have been servicing the Burr Ridge, Evanston, Lisle, Naperville, Warrenville, St. Charles and all Chicago for 30+ years. We’d love to help you out with repairing ceiling drywall issues due to water damage.
Related Videos on Ceilings